Monthly Archives: June 2014
I know its been a while. Well, dear reader, I have been busy. With Kid #1, Kid #2, Wrist Surgery, Gut Surgery…and other reasons that sound like plausible excuses to not continue this blog. However, I am vowing to make more frequent posts starting…now.
MORE FREQUENT POST #1
On April 17th of this year I had a procedure called a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
Two weeks prior to surgery I was on 100% liquids with the last week all CLEAR liquids. Surgery happens. 2.5 weeks later I was still HATING this decision. FOOD and LIQUIDS hurt when you swallowed more than a thimble full. It was a constant fight against 38 years of practice. I lost many battles.
Then something happened. I swallowed instinctively and NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. I remember thinking, “Oh shit! I’m about to pop staples and die from some septic gunk coursing through my veins.” Staples held, nothing bad happened, I lived – and still am. In fact I’m much better. See below:
April 17, 2014 – Weight 298 lbs. (45.6 BMI)
June 23, 2014- Weight 224 lbs (34.1 BMI)
TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS- 74 lbs.
A1C on Surgery Date- 6.7 (6.5 + is Diabetic)
A1C on June 16, 2014- 4.6 (5.7 and below is normal)
Post Meal Glucose Level on Surgery Date- 210 mg/dl (DIABETIC is 200 mg/dl or greater)
Post Meal Glucose Level on June 22, 2014- 99 mg/dl (NORMAL is <140 mg/dl)
Waist Size Pre-Surgery- 46 in.
Waist Size June 6, 2014- 36 in
Shirt Size Pre-Surgery- XXL
Shirt Size June 6, 2014- L
Shoe Size Pre-Surgery- 10 wide
Shoe Size June 6, 2014- 9 med
Addendum: Additional non-quantifiable changes post surgery:
- Chicken Nuggets were amazing before. They now smell like Satan’s dirty underwear.
- Salmon – Pre-Surgery- yucktastic Now- an amazing fish
- Ice Cream is impossible to eat now. (kinda bummed about that one…not really)
- Knee/foot pain from tennis – largely gone
- Existing on less than 1000 calories a day is not as bad as you may think
- Gatorade is physically easier to drink than water (I know, that is hard for me to believe too)
- My libido is more…noticeable.
Any one out there have any comments, recommendations, or accolades to throw my way…Lets read em. Post in comments.
Progress is being made.